The Roundhouse, and its associated yard, houses an ever changing collection of locomotives; steam, diesel and electric. Some of these are within reach and some are being worked on. Some are complete and some in a thousand pieces. As the exhibits tend to change, check before your visit for specific locomotives.
In the Roundhouse
No. 506 Butler-Henderson
Midland Compound No.1000
The Holden J17
Within months of building D14 Claud Hamilton, James Holden introduced a freight 0-6-0 version of the design. Using the same boiler and cylinders as the D14s and a large two window cab, the new Class F48 locomotives were the UK's largest 0-6-0 tender locomotives at that time. The Great Eastern Railway built sixty Class F48 engines between 1900 and 1903, in six batches of ten.
The first withdrawal was No. 8200 after sustaining extensive damage from a V2 rocket explosion in November 1944. Normal withdrawals started in 1954 and were rapid. The entire class was withdrawn by the end of 1962.
One J17, No 8217, has survived into preservation, is part of the National Collection at York and is currently a static exhibit at Barrow Hill
GWR Prairie tank 5164
The 5101 Class were medium-sized tank engines used for suburban and local passenger services all over the Great Western Railway system. The class was an updated version, by Collett, of Churchward's 1903 3100/5100 Class.
They were little changed from the Churchward locomotives as they then were, but had an increased axle loading of 17 tons 12 cwt (39,400 lb or 17.9 t); the maximum permitted for the ‘Blue’ route availability. Bunkers were of the standard Collett design with greater coal capacity.
5164 is a resident at Severn Valley Railway. Its boiler certificate expired 5 January 2014 and it is now on display at Barrow Hill for at least 12 months.
5164 is owned by The 5164 Preservation Group
GER Class G58 (LNER Class J17) 0-6-0 no. 8217. Built in 1905. On loan from the National Railway Museum.
On static display.
GCR Class 11F (LNER Class D11) 4-4-0 No. 506 "Butler Henderson". Built in 1919. On static display.
MR 1000 Compound Class 4-4-0 no. 1000. Built in 1902. On loan from the National Railway Museum. On static display.
MR 1377 Class 0-6-0T No 41708. Built in 1878. On static display.
GWR 5101 Class 2-6-2T no. 5164. Built in 1930. On loan from the Severn Valley Railway. On static display.
Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST No 2491 "Henry". Built in 1901. On static display.
Manning Wardle 0-6-0T "Welshman". Built in 1890. Awaiting restoration.
Manning Wardle 0-6-0T "Y/E No9". Undergoing restoration.
BR 0-4-0 Class 02 nos. D2853 and D2868
BR 0-6-0 Class 03 no. 03066
BR 0-6-0 Class 08 no. D3000
BR 0-6-0 Class 10 no. D4092
BR Bo-Bo Class 26 nos. 26007 Br blue. Built in 1958. and 26011 Br blue. Built in 1959.
BR 1Co-Co1 Class 40 no. D213
BR 1Co-Co1 Class 45 nos. 45060 Br blue. Built in 1961. and 45105 Br blue. Built in 1961.
BR Co-Co Class 55 nos. D9009, D9015 and 55019 Br blue. Built in 1961.
BR Co-Co Class 58 no. 58016
BR Bo-Bo Class 81 no. 81002 Br blue. Built in 1960.
BR Bo-Bo Class 82 no. 82008
BR Bo-Bo Class 83 no. E3035
BR Bo-Bo Class 84 no. 84001 Br blue. Built in 1960.
BR Bo-Bo Class 85 no. 85101
BR Co-Co Class 89 no. 89001
Full stock list
New Loco arriving soon
No.506 was the first of its class to be built and is the only passenger locomotive used by the Great Central Railway to survive. It was named after Eric Butler-Henderson who became a director of the Great Central Railway in 1918, after he had been wounded fighting in the First World War.The first member of the GCR Director Class 11F, No. 506 Butler-Henderson, was withdrawn from use by British Railways during 1960. It has been preserved as part of the UK National Collection and currently wears restored GCR colours. No. 506 is the only surviving GCR passenger locomotive.
The locomotive operated passenger trains on the preserved Great Central Railway in Leicestershire during the late 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s but is now out of running order and is a static exhibit. The locomotive was placed on long term loan for display at Barrow Hill Engine Shed, near Chesterfield, in 2005.
These were introduced in 1902 by Samuel W. Johnson and had a layout of one high pressure cylinder inside the frames, and two low pressure cylinders outside. From 1905 onwards, Johnson's successor Richard Deeley built an enlarged and simplified version, eliminating all the Smith refinements whilst fitting his own starting arrangement, making the engines simpler to drive. The original Johnson locomotives were all subsequently renewed as Deeley compounds, including the now-preserved 1000 which was rebuilt and outshopped with a superheater in 1914.
No. 1000 was set aside for preservation after withdrawal and restored in 1959 close to its 1914 condition, painted in Midland maroon livery. Though steamed since preservation, it is currently a static exhibit at the Barrow Hill Engine Shed at Derbyshire, having been lent by the National Railway Museum in York. more